Thursday, March 22, 2012

Herald of Khorne Conversion

I have always liked to personalize my own army to make it unique and easily recognized to be of my own. For Daemons of Chaos, there are limitless possibilities that you can do with Daemons. Daemons afterall, don't really have to follow the usual humanoid shapes. You can many armed monstrocities, extremely large heads or limbs, oversized weapons, multiple heads and the list could go on and on. As for your characters of course you would like to make them very outstanding and easily distinguished when you place them among your troops.

As for my first conversion for my Herald of Khorne, I opted not to go overboard but to use mostly from the Bloodletter box and minimally only used three separate bits from Empire bits. So here is the list of items that I have used for this conversion

  1. PVA glue + water mixture
  2. Tissue paper
  3. Khorne icon from bloodletter standard bearer
  4. Banner from bloodletter standard bearer
  5. Bloodletter body and leg
  6. Bloodletter army (left and right)
  7. Bloodletter champion head
  8. Empire shields x 2
  9. Empire flagellant head
  10. Small pin
  11. Super glue
  12. Plastic glue
  13. Hair dryer with paper nozzle
  14. Pen knife

To start off, I make the base of the herald with the PVA glue + water mixture + tissue. As this is the theme of my entire army, they would all have the lava based base. Mould the base up to look like a rock. Before setting it up to dry, take the Khorne icon from the bloodletter standard bearer set and cut it out from it's stand. Stick the icon to the base where it would be the front of your herald. Make sure that most of the tissue and glue has contact over the icon so that it would stick when it's dried. After this is completed, you can set it out to dry.

Once the base is completely dry, glue the herald's body (of course!) to the base. I used superglue excessively for this to crystalize some of the base with the herald's foot. As the tissue hardens, you may not have a full contact on the foot of the herald. The crystalization of the superglue would support how well the herald stick to the base. At this point, you do not have to worry if the herald would be facing too high up or too low, the next part will handle this. Wait till the superglue is dried, you may wish to reposition the herald body. Use the hair dryer with a custom made paper nozzle to bend the legs of the herald that it would be facing in your intended position.
Icon, body and tissue + PVA glue + water mix all glued
Next glue both army to the body with plastic glue. Wait for it to dry and then by using the same method and the legs, use the hair dryer with custom made paper nozzle to bend the arms. I even bend some of the fingers of the left arm to the shape I wanted. It's going to hold a severed head by the end of the conversion. The arm holding the hellblade, I bent it face forward and raised the sword slightly higher. I can't bend it too much as I have to leave some space for the shoulder pads and also the big head.

Arms bent and glued to body

Next up are both shoulder pads. Get two Empire shields, file off the details and then use the hair dryer with the custom paper nozzle to bend it slightly. It's pretty simple and fast to do but be careful as they are small and easily get over bent.
Shoulder pads made from Empire shields

Just as I'm finished with the shoulder pads, why not I continue wit the cloak for the herald. Cut off the banner from the standard bearer stand. Same method as the shoulder pads, I slowly bend the cloak. I had made sure that I could place two more bloodletters behind my herald with this cloak bent in this way.
Cloak for the Herald

For the severed head, I simply make cuts at the neck area till it looked like it was a severed neck. Then I glued two very small pins to the cut area. This would make the neck to look like it was torn out with two remaining veins tagging along.
Severed head

Now that all the parts are completed, what's left are just painting and glueing them together. As I already have a theme of painting my whole army, they would stay the same for the base, herald's skin colours, hellblade, horns, fingernails, teeth and so on. I have not yet glue the shoulder pads, the head and the cloak. I prefer to have them painted first and then only glue them together. For the Khorne icon, I have it base coloured with Chainmail and then washed with Flesh Wash. The inner layer of blood covering the icon would be in Red Gore while the top most blood layer would be Blood Red. The skulls on the icon would be as how I would paint most of the skulls which is Bleached Bone and washed with watered down Flesh Wash. For the severed head, I had a mixture of Bleached Bone added with Dark Angels Green. Then washed thinly with Flesh Wash. The neck area are dry brushed with Red Gore. For the shoulder pads, I base painted Red Gore on it and added Khrone markings on both of them with Chainmail. Added with some Flesh Wash, it would have some golden rusty look on the Chainmail. Finally for the cloak, I had it fully based with Red Gore then outlined with Blood Red. The designs on the cloack was first painted with Blood Red and then painted again with Blazing Orange.

Now everything has been painted up, it's time to glue them together. Start off with something simple. I'll go with the shoulder pads. Pretty straight forward, I just glue them on both shoulders. Then while waiting for the glue to dry, I glued the severed head to the left arm. It gets a bit tricky with my clumsy fingers so it took me some time before I manage to glue it on the right position that I had wanted. Finally it's the cloak. I took a simple path and just glue the top ends of the cloak directly on the shoulder pads. The contact point is pretty small, so be sure to reinforce it with a little bit more glue. I used a little bit extra super glue to do this job. With that glued up, that completes my herald of Khorne.
Khorne Herald
Frontal look
Khorne Herald
From the sides
Khorne Herald
From the top